The best player of the year won by the New York Film Critics Association award by the popular Joker, Joaquin Phoenix. Since the film’s release, Phoenix’s success has earned awards. The movie features Arthur Fleck, a mentally impaired comic who lives in need while caring for his deceased wife. Throughout the movie, Fleck’s violence transforms him into a nihilistic villain who stirs up a riot in Gotham. Warner Bros. advances the film in several fields of educational honors with the inclusion of Phoenix as a major candidate for the best actor classification in the Academy.
The New York Film Critics Online
Reviewer Harvey Karten created NYFCO in 2000. On Saturday, the group held its 20th annual gathering in the Furman Gallery of the Lincoln Center’s Walter Reade Theater and voted on its year favors.
The parasite was named the best film of the year. The script of the film won Best Script, composed by Bong and Han Jin-Won. For her role in Us Lupita Nyong’o won Best Actress. The complete list of honors are available here:
- Picture: Parasite
- Director: Bong Joon-Ho (Parasite)
- Actor: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
- Actress: Lupita Nyong’o (Us)
- Supporting Actor: Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
- Supporting Actress: Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
- Screenplay: Parasite (Bong Joon-Ho, Han Jin-Won)
- Cinematography: 1917 (Roger Deakins)
- Documentary: Apollo 11 (NEON)
- Foreign Language: Portrait of a Lady on Fire (NEON)
- Ensemble Cast: Knives Out (Casting director: Mary Vernier)
- Breakthrough Performer: Kelvin Harrison Jr. (Waves, Luce)
- Debut as Director: Lila Aviles (The Chambermaid)
- Use of Music: Rocketman (Elton John, Bernie Taupin, Giles Martin, Matthew Margeson)
- Animated Feature: I Lost My Body (Netflix)
Joker was also rated as one of the ten best movies of the year. The full list (in alphabetical order) is as follows:
- 1917 (Universal Pictures)
- The Farewell (A24)
- Hustlers (STX Films)
- The Irishman (Netflix)
- Jojo Rabbit (Fox Searchlight)
- Joker (Warner Brothers)
- Marriage Story (Netflix)
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Sony Pictures)
- Parasite (NEON)
- The Two Popes (Netflix)
Joker has received more than 1 billion dollars worldwide. It has become the first R movie to compete in the box office. Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy, Brett Cullen, Bill Camp, Shea Whigham, and Marc Maron are also stars of this movie. They’re the stars of this show!
“Joker is either a social commentary in terms of homelessness or mental illness. A modern enigmatic twist on the best known DC comic books character. Just another memorable movie to which Martin Scorsese connected. It’s a matter that you will have to take care of and even then, you may not yet be sure that you are not.