Obi-Wan (Ewan McGregor) and Darth Vader (Hayden Christensen) will square off again in Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, which is said to feature two duels between master and disciple. Kathleen Kennedy, CEO and producer of Lucasfilm, has called the upcoming encounter between Obi-Wan and Sith Lord Darth Vader, the corrupted Anakin Skywalker, “the rematch of the century.” Obi-Wan and Vader would allegedly combat twice more in Obi-Wan Kenobi, set years before their fated last confrontation aboard the Death Star in Star Wars: A New Hope, a decade after their spectacular duel in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.
Director of Obi Wan-Kenobi, Deborah Chow Teases Fans
Obi-Wan and Darth Vader will have “two epic battles against each other” that will “rank at the top” of Star Wars duels, according to LRMOnline. Director Deborah Chow previously teased audiences would “definitely see Obi-Wan and Darth Vader get into it again” for the first time since 2005’s Revenge of the Sith.
“We couldn’t present the narrative of Obi-Wan Kenobi without addressing Anakin or Vader,” said Chow, who helmed episodes of The Mandalorian. Sith concluded with the Jedi Master in exile on Tatooine, keeping an eye on Anakin’s kid, Luke Skywalker, who was born separately from twin sister Leia.
Obi-Wan will face the battle against the Jedi-hunting Inquisitors during the Galactic Empire era, as he is charged with keeping both of the Skywalker children concealed from their father — and reigning Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid).
“There’s a hunger for this character to come back. The fans have been waiting long enough,” McGregor, who played the younger Jedi knight turned master in George Lucas’ Star Wars prequels, said in the sizzle reel. “The most beautiful thing of all is that it’s brought me back together with Hayden … [We’ll] have another swing at each other. It might be quite satisfying for everybody. We hope that you enjoy it as much as we’ve enjoyed making it!”
Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi will be available on Disney+ on May 25.